Undergraduate Student Employment Opportunities
Student Paper Marker
Contact: Mary Brown, email@example.com
Paper markers work with instructors to evaluate student homework and mark the number of correct answers. Employees will work 2 to 4 hours per week per class and are paid between $12.00 and $14.00 per hour.
- B or better in any class you wish to mark for.
- Currently enrolled student taking at least 8 credits.
- Math major preferred but not necessary.
- Good communication skills. Working in a partnership with the instructor is vital.
- Timeliness and a sense of personal responsibility are very important.
Math Library Worker
Contact: Kristin Buxton, firstname.lastname@example.org
Under the direction of Math Librarian and Science Library Manager, the math assistants will work to
provide mathematics assistance, general library software support, and circulation/reference assistance
at the Math Library. Employees will work at a single desk performing all these tasks in one space, with
backup assistance reachable but usually offsite. Positive representation of the library is critical.
- Two terms of calculus sufficient to explain general concepts in differentiation and integration (or transfer equivalents) with at least a B+
- Familiarity with the content of Math 111 and 112, college algebra and trigonometry
- Experience explaining concepts in math and translating technical information and processes in lay terms in order to accommodate a wide range of patron experience. Excellent communication skills and interest in working with people.
- Experience working independently.
- Ability to work with peers to solve problems or to apply underlying knowledge to a new problem.
- Willingness and ability to troubleshoot, problem-¬solve, and learn new applications quickly.
- Ability to navigate and carry books up and down steep stairs
- Willingness to work a set schedule each week which includes hours performing general circulation tasks at the Science Library.
Class Encore Learning Assistant
Contact: Laura Eidam, email@example.com
Do you enjoy helping students understand math? Are you interested in teaching or leadership? Have you developed strategies for succeeding in your coursework? If so, you should apply to be a peer learning assistant for Math 101 this Fall!
Class Encore is a UO program that hires students for 7-10 hours/week at $12.25/hour to help their peers practice successful learning strategies. For Math 101, this means
- Assisting the instructor in class (4 hours/week)
- Participating in training (1-2 hours/week)
- Hosting tutorial sessions (1-2 hours/week)
- Completing other duties as assigned (2-4 hours/week)
Successful applicants will
- be enrolled full time at UO
- have an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher
- have earned at least an A- in Math 111 and/or other math classes
- demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- be available to complete the orientation 9/20 and 9/21 and work the assigned hours Weeks 1-10.
Preferred qualifications: evidence of success in math beyond Math 111 and/or experience as a tutor, teaching assistant, or peer mentor.
Why apply to be a leader? According to our student workers, this position
- introduces you to new people and new perspectives
- develops your leadership and communication skills
- improves your study strategies, creativity, and problem-solving skills
- builds your self-confidence